Mt Roskill Grammar School
UPDATE: Free practice tournament using Tornelo in preparation for the interschool regional event on Friday.
This practice is on Thursday 16 September starting at 5.30pm and finishing about 7.30pm.
If you have not used Tornelo for online play before, I strongly recommend you play at least a couple of games in this practice tournament.
It is different from chess.com and lichess.org
Click here to register now and also
click here to join from 5.15pm onwards, ready to start at 5.30pm sharp.
It's OK to arrive late. If you leave early, please let me know in the online video room.
Please everyone join the Jitsi video room after you sign in, and check in.
So what is this all about?
We want you to be part of the school online chess team. Let's talk about what's involved. Please invite any of your MRGS chess-playing friends to check out this page.
Because of Covid lockdown the ChessPower Auckland Regional Championships are being held online this Friday 17 September. We want you to be part of the team. We need you to play to help us qualify for the ChessPower National Finals. These might also be held online if we are not in Covid Level 1 by 23 October. If the event is held in-person there will also be an online championship event held at the same time. So we need everyone to practice online.
There is free to enter if you are already part of the school chess team.
Let's talk about what you need to do:
If you have any problems contact Wayne McDougall
Email email@example.com or phone or text mobile 021669768
- The tournament will run all school day Friday. The school has given you permission to not attend your online learning. But you should still let your teachers know that you will be out of class on Friday, and make arrangements for anything you need to catch up on. If you have any issues, let Mrs Burns know and she will sort it out.
- The tournament is hosted on an online system named Tornelo. You already have an online chess profile there but you need link it to a login. This can take a while so do it now. Contact Wayne McDougall if you have any problems. Here's what you need to do:
- Go to Tornelo and click on the button "SIGN UP – ITS FREE"
- Fill in the form to create your login profile. Don't forget your password!
- Now click here for the Tournament web page and then click on the "Register Now" button to register for the tournament. This is also the page you click on to play on Friday
- Click "Add One Player" and then enter your first and last name, and then click on "Next Step"
- Click on "New Player Profile" and then click on "Finish"
- Now click on "Next Step", choose Senior and choose $15 Payment Option for Parents
- Under Group/Team name type in "Mt Roskill G" and then you can choose "Mt Roskill Grammar" from the pop up list. Choose the one with the most entries.
- For estimated rating put in 1000 and then click on "Next Step"
- Put in your contact phone number and click on "Next Step"
- Now choose "Pay later" and then click on "Confirm Entry". You should receive an email confirming your entry.
- It's pretty easy when you just do it. Please make the effort. Please contact Wayne McDougall if you have any issues.
- Get your device ready. A mouse is much easier to use than a touch-screen or a track pad. Ideally you should have a webcam. Make sure you have a place where you can use the device, keep it charged, connected to the internet from 8.45am to about 2.15pm.
- I have create a practice tournament for tonight (Wednesday). Register here in the same way. It runs from 6pm to 8pm. You can arrive late and leave early. But try to play at least two games. Again, contact Wayne McDougall if you have any problems. We want to sort it out now, rather than on Friday.
- I will make another practice event on Thursday. Let me know what times you like.
- Practice games online. LiChess is what I recommend but you can also use chess.com
- It would help if you register as part of the school chess team so we can contact you easily.
- Get some sleep. Go to bed on time or early tonight and Thursday nights.
- Check back here every day for updates
- On Friday:
- Ideally you should be in school uniform as you are competing and representing your school
- If possible you should have your webcam on while you are playing your games. You do not need to keep it on in between game rounds. You should not leave your computer during the game, so make sure you use the toilet before your game. Have a drink close to hand.
- Some players will be chosen at random, or if playing very well, to have their webcams on so they can be observed
- Do not cheat. I know none of you would cheat, but don't do anything even for fun or to be silly. Don't look at your phone or other devices while playing your games. Don't talk to other people or let people talk to you. Don't worry if you think the other person is cheating because they will be caught. You don't need to accuse them.
- If anything weird does happen, there is both the online chat and also a Call Arbiter button to click on
- At 8.45am get connected and signed in, and join the Zoom chat room - there is a button on the Tornelo website to connect to Zoom.
Every lunchtime we meet in E9 for training games. FIDE National Instructor Wayne McDougall coaches when we can (at Level 1). Currently aiming for every day (late arrival on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday). You can contact him on mobile 021 669 768. But he may not reply immediately if he is busy training pupils.
Joining the chess team costs $25 payable to the school accounts office. This covers entry to the school chess championships and most inter-school events. Some competitions may have additional entry and transport fees. If money is a challenge in your household please contact Mrs Burns or a senior staff member to discuss your options. We do not want anyone to be excluded from chess because of financial pressures.
If you do not know how to play chess we can teach you. You can learn at any age.
We want information so we may
- contact you in the event of a problem (eg if an event is cancelled)
- keep you child safe
- notify you about upcoming chess competitions
This information will only ever be used for school chess purposes. We collect birth dates as some chess competitions are divided into age groups.
You can contact us at any time to review and correct information we have stored about you or to have that information removed.
Photos and video recordings may be taken of you in accordance with New Zealand law. These photos may be used for promoting the school and chess. Photos and recordings may be taken of you as they compete in chess competitions in public places run by other organisations.
We're going to have fun playing chess and get better at chess.
We're going to enter chess competitions. There will often be entry fees. There may be transport costs. Some competitions are open to anyone. Some have restricted entries so we will choose our best players to attend. Attending outside competitions is not required but will make you better and give you a goal.
If the cost of competition is a problem for your family, you can discuss in private with Mrs Burns. We don't want anyone with ability and determination to miss out because of the cost.
We plan to enter:
- Respect - we treat everyone with respect, including our opponents - the people we play with
- Honesty - we play fair. We don't cheat. We don't accuse others of cheating
- Friendliness - we win graciously. We lose graciously
- Curiosity - we ask for help when we need help
- Excellence - We play with honour and do our best
- We stay safe. We don't throw pieces
- We tell an adult if we have a problem
- All school rules still apply
Some of these are qualification events for other competitions.
- NZCF Interschool in May - CANCELLED DUE TO COVID
- ChessPower Cluster around May - WE WON
- Auckland Girls Championship around June - POSTPONED TO 4 SEPTEMBER
- ChessPower Auckland Regional Championship 9 September - top 10 players only
- NZ Girls Team Championship around August - PROBABLY CANCELLED DUE TO COVID
We will post more details here as timetables for events are announced. Most of these have entry fees. They are all optional.